Not my ways

From the book of Isaiah:

1 "Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

These verses could not be more appropriate in describing what we have been experiencing over the past 6 months. Upon our arrival, I have been on a serious job search. I have had phone interviews, in-person interviews, second interviews, reference checks and all the things that led me to believe that I would quickly land a high-paying big-city job. Well...at least a job anyway. So, imagine my shock, dismay, and awe when I was still jobless as we headed home for the Christmas holiday.

But, as always, God knew what he was doing.

As you may have read in my last post, I went to the Dominican Republic a few weeks ago. The main reason for my trip was to scout out a potential job with Mission Emanuel, the ministry that Justin and I have come to know and love. I was asked to consider a full-time staff position working with a women's cooperative that has begun in the community. The co-op consists of ~15-20 women who work together twice weekly sewing and embroidering small tote bags. They hope to sell their products in the US as a source of income for each woman.

During the week, God kept showing me over and over that this is where he wants me to be. I would like to say that I immediately agreed with him, but I'll admit, I was hesitant at first. I thought, "How can I do this? I live in Boston! Justin's in school and there's just no way!" But as the week progressed, I could not deny God's presence and prompting. His ways are not my ways and his thoughts are not my thoughts. That's for sure. Everyday, I realize that he did it this way for a reason. What is more motivating for me to help these women than not having a job for six months myself?! And I only had a glimpse into what it must be like wondering each day if you're going to be able to make it. Unlike most of them, we have family and friends who have been so supportive financially and otherwise. I could not imagine having to wake up each morning wondering if I could feed my family today.

So, here I am, ready to serve. There is much to be done. But if we listen to Him and eat what is good, we will delight in the richest of fare. He promised.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, nice blog. Encouraging too. What is the seminary in MA? I know a guy who moved up there to go to seminary a while back... keep it up!

justin said...

Thanks for the compliment Mr. D! As you can tell we don't get too many comments, so we're a little sad that we only know you by the 4th letter.

But to answer your question, we're at Gordon-Conwell, a fine institution held together not only by a hyphen, but also by the grace of God.

mary said...

Great post, Holly! I'm excited to hear more about your work and how it develops!