the 6th man

When a coach can say, "I feel like I have six starters," you know you've got a good starting rotation. Today we saw UNC obliterate NC-State in a truly pathetic game (for one side). Our first guy off the bench, Danny Green, had 13 points, 14 rebounds, six assists, and four blocks. He was great. The other team, not so much. It was so ugly that when what's-his-name finally ended the 18-shot drought for State, we found ourselves actually applauding with the UNC fans. I mean, you want your team to win...but you also want it to be a good game.

Danny has become my favorite player in recent weeks. His performances since November have shown improvement and overall commitment to excellence. In general, I love it when the first guy off the bench has a great game. I think I identify with that guy (whoever he is). In my rec-league play as a kid, I hardly ever started. But when I came in I wanted to be that guy who deserved to start but never could. There was always a better player to fill that role, but if I was going to run up and down the court for 5 minutes, they would be a 5-minute display of pure, spectacular force.

The 6th man is important, but he has to wait. He has to be patient. He may not get much playing time. And he usually doesn't get the glory...but he makes the first-5 look good. I think God might want me to be a 6th man. Wait, support, encourage those who are in. Make them look good. If that's my role, I hope to play it well. Danny, thanks for playing your heart out. You'll always deserve a starting role...and to us you'll always be one.

Wanna be a "6th man", read Philippians 2.

0 comments: