Rrrrrrrandy

The first time we went to the DR, we were co-leaders with our friend, Amy. Like us, Amy decided to sponsor a child in the Mission Emanuel school. His name is Randy. I remembered because we would always roll the "R" when we said his name, "Rrrrrandy." Since returning to the DR, I had lost track of Randy. I knew he was still in the school, but just never saw him on my trips.

Then, in October, I was walking up the hill to the church and I saw a boy playing in the street. I looked at him, smiled, and asked, "Como te llamas?" "Randy," was his reply. Randy! Amy's Randy. Not knowing what to say, I just smiled and took a few pictures of him with his buddies. When I got back to States, I double-checked with Amy. Yep, that was him.

It just-so-happens that Amy's best friend, Becky, was on the trip with me this last time. So, we made sure that we would find Randy and take a picture of them together for Amy. Our first afternoon in the community, we're walked by the same spot I saw Randy last time, and there he was. We stopped and I introduced Randy to Becky. After telling him her name, I asked if he remembered Amy. He looked at us, muttered something, and ran into his house. A minute later, he comes back out with a framed picture of him and Amy. I guess that answers that. We proceeded to go into his house, meet his family, and try our best to talk.

For the rest of the week, Randy was pretty possessive over Becky. She would play with other kids, and he would swat them away saying that she is the best friend of "his American." Needless to say, Randy wants to know when Amy's coming back. Amy, if you're reading this, Randy's ready for a new picture with you. And Becky too.

0 comments: