My new job

It isn’t any surprise that I (Justin) have been waiting for the first post-seminary job for 6+ months.  I joke with folks that I (along with other graduating seminary students) carried a hefty amount of naivety when it came to job expectations…perhaps in part due to optimism, perhaps the rest in ignorance.  This economy has placed question marks on many graduates’ resumes and the applicant pools have been tougher – being filled with so many talented men and women. 

We set off for Winston-Salem this past December in faith not knowing where “home” would actually turn out to be.  Boxes were left unpacked and pictures remained unhung.  When Tessa came, we needed her home to warm and complete, but we could never really bring ourselves to settle and re-establish roots. Our church, however, family stepped up -- brought meals, dropped by…called.  And they prayed for God to open doors.

Having spent hours upon hours reading job descriptions, meeting with churches and pastors, I became further relegated to my basement office and doing odd jobs for folks around Winston-Salem.  It should also be no surprise that the work I’ve been doing (volunteer/part-time) has been with college students and young adults.  My heart and passion has increasingly grown more excited and committed to this generation and I have longed to pastor these groups. 

Well, I am pleased to announce that as of July 1, 2009, I am the new Associate for College and Young Adult ministries at First Presbyterian Church in Winston-Salem.  By God’s great grace I get to continue and grow deeper in my ministry role(s).  And I get to do this at a place we now call “home”.  (Yes, pictures might finally appear on walls now.)

These next couple of months are going to be wonderful and challenging; I look forward to carrying the torch of both Joe Farrell and Andy Hamer – honoring their work and legacies, particularly in their work with Emmaus.  And I look forward to seeing how God might use my gifts to shine a new, unique light on these ministries. 

Pray for the days ahead; for clarity and the right pace.  For now, enjoy the following announcement in today’s church bulletin:

Announcement

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Praise the Lord!

Christy said...

Congratulations!! I'm so excited that you have gotten a job that you can be truly excited about, not feeling like you are settling, and that pays :-)